Somatic Movment (Yoga)
Yoga has been shown to improve overall health when practised regularly. As with many forms of exercise, it could be modified for people of varying abilities. Chair yoga is a gentle form of yoga that can be done sitting on a chair or standing on the ground while using the chair for support. It is beneficial for people with limited mobility and for those who want to practice yoga at their workplace. The benefits of practising these chair yoga poses (called Asanas) include:
• Improved flexibility. Flexibility allows us to do the activities we need and love to do, from twisting while driving to bending over to play with children.
• Better concentration. Incorporating breath work with the poses can help clear your brain of unwanted thoughts, improve mood and decrease stress.
• Increased strength. Body strength enables us to withstand falls and injury and helps us with balance.
• Reduced joint strain. Yoga reduces the pressure on joints and muscles, which allows someone unable to stand for traditional yoga an opportunity to practice too.
• Portability and convenience. You can do Yoga nearly anywhere you can find a place to sit.